For those interested in the hat pattern mentioned in the post below, it is a 1936 beret pattern which can be found here.
I made a few adaptations...
I had no idea what 'sports yarn' was, and since my aim anyway was to use up oddments of yarn from my stash, I improvised a bit...well, quite a lot...
I used two 50g balls of white/cream baby four-ply and crocheted them together, thus achieving something approximating a double-knit weight. To best accommodate this, I used a 5mm hook.
Pattern-wise, I chose to work in half-treble (half-double if you are from the US) crochet rather than single. I would also work the first couple of rounds differently if I was making it again: the instructions as written create a pronounced peak to the hat which in my view had unwelcome associations with Smurfs. I dealt with this by tucking it in from the back and hiding it with a few stitches, but you would be better advised to start with 18 stitches, then work even for one round, then begin to increase as usual. Oh, and I recommend the magic circle method of starting off.
To make the perky little flower, I used Teresa's brilliant tutorial on YouTube.
If you can't crochet or want to learn new stitches or techniques, I can't recommend Teresa highly enough. Along with her two accomplices, the Pause and Rewind buttons, she is a very fine teacher indeed. She will also teach you the magic circle technique if you so desire.