dotty crochet


It's finally finished! I've been feverishly hooking away at the last of my sixty squares, trimming, neatening, sewing them all together, edging... and here it is! My first ever crochet project (well, I made a daft scarf a couple of years ago but I don't count that).

I'm ridiculously, childishly excited about this small achievement - I've always wanted to learn to crochet properly and thanks to the lovely Teresa on You Tube, I've learnt to make squares out of little circles. Yay! It did take me a while, and I'm too embarrassed to admit how many times I had to replay the video and have it explained to me again, but Teresa is a very patient teacher.

I'm especially in love with the wools I used. They were all snatched from the sale bargain bucket at John Lewis in a most unladylike manner back in July and are mostly cotton, merino and cashmere - lovely to work with, and gorgeous colours. I think one of my mistakes in the past when trying to master woolly techniques has been my misguided belief that cheap scratchy wool should be used when learning. This way, it was like learning to stroke pussycats.

And now I can't wait to make more! I've already got a hundred ideas for more rugs and throws in more lovely colours. The only trouble is, the yarn sale is now finished...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! You're wrong though, that's a HUGE achievement! Not everyone can handle all those squares. I've been crocheting for years and have never made a granny square blanket of any sort. ;-)

Sue said...

Thanks for your encouragement Zuleika! I've always kind of thought that crochet is something that other, more talented people can do - isn't it odd what we have strange blocks about? Love your hats by the way!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful blanket, Sue. The colours are so soft and subtle.
It just says'cuddle me'.

Sue said...

Thank you! It really is very soft and cuddly indeed and perfect for these chilly evenings - mind you nearly all evenings are chilly in our rattly old house...

Jo said...

I love crochet. I haven't done any for years, though. The children in our village were coerced into crocheting blankets for the 'old people' and we used to meet in a lady's house once a week. I loved it! I then went on to make many more blankets this way. Both my late mother and my great grandmother used to crochet a lot. The latter used to make little berets, which my father wore to work (bizarre, I know!). They were his trademark! I long to crochet again, but wouldn't know where to start. I may take a look at that YouTube video! Thanks, Sue. A lovely new blog.

Sue said...

Jo, what a lovely story. Lucky old people! I love the sound of your father's berets. It's memories like this that make life so wonderful, no?

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Oh my, I just love the colours of this blanket... Im right now trying to learn how to make granny squares and maybe one day I can get one little square done.
Beautiful blanket, love it!!!