suffolk puffs

I won't tell you what my husband said when I mentioned Suffolk Puffs, but if you know anything about the inclinations of East Anglian-dwelling mid-century English composers and their mellow-voiced companions, you'll be nearly there. It was all in the best possible taste, of course - we are big fans in this household. *

I made this to wear tomorrow at my first market of the season, as I was suddenly seized by a compulsion to wear a tiny splash of red together with my new red lipstick. I'm a firm believer in following these sorts of urges and so in between packing stock into boxes and eating supper, this got made. Suffolk Puffs have been on my mind recently, as a tutor on my degree course is retiring, and her ex-students have been asked to each contribute a puff for a presentation piece for her. The Liberty fabric I have used for Isabel's puff and this little flower is actually a piece of the dress I wore to my Embroidery degree show twenty-two years ago in 1988 - now sadly a wee bit tight around the middle! I pulled up the puffs tightly five times around the centre to create the stubby little petals.

Everything is finally ready for an early start in the morning and I'm currently in that strange kind of adrenalin-fuelled yet foggily tired state that follows several days of intense creativity and preparation. It's the same way that I feel late on Christmas Eve. I've no idea what to expect from the market, but I am hoping that people will have at least a few pounds in their purses to spend on pretty things despite the recession.

I did take some photos of everything but poor light and camera shake rendered them all useless. Hopefully there'll be a moment to take a few snaps tomorrow. I know some of you are hoping to come along - I'm really looking forward to seeing you there!

*If you have the faintest idea of what I am on about and would like to see one of my favourite all-time clips, click here. Sheer class.

14 comments:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Hope it all goes well and that you have much reward for all your hard work and creative adrenalin! are you only selling at fairs this year?

Marigold Jam said...

Good luck! Love the little brooch.

Jane

rossichka said...

Good luck with the market, Sue! I'm sure people will like your beauties and will buy them to prettify their homes for Christmas! Despite the fatigue and the tension, sleep well and have a lovely Sunday!:-)I envy those who will come tomorrow to meet you...

Sweet Birdy Love said...

Hey Sue, love the brooch/adornment.
Always add that little something extra to an outfit or occasion.
All the very best for your market, you make such lovely things, i am sure they will be snapped up.

Hope it's a fine day, would love to be there, but look forward to reading all about it.

Frances said...

Sue, you are going to be beautiful with those accents in red. May the folks visiting the fair have great taste ... that will guarantee that they will clear out your beautiful stock straightaway.

You've made me laugh with your references to Suffolk and puffs.

Best wishes! xo

Heloise said...

Hope that you did sleep well and that you have a very enjoyable and successful day. Liked the link and your brooch is very pretty.

A time to dance said...

Good Luck...I am a great lover of the suffolk puff and put them on everything...

Jane said...

Hope it goes well. Suffolk puffs always make me think of something we used to eat in the 50's and 60's - they came in packets and were like a cross between cardboard and cottonwool but could be rendered edible with butter and jam. Anyone any ideas about what they might have been?

Vintage Tea Time said...

Good luck with the market. I know exactly what you mean about the feelings (and exhaustion!) just before a market / fair - will they like my stuff / will they buy / will it rain? Etc!

Jackie said...

As I write this, I imagine you selling all your wares right now. I hope its a success for you. I'm sure it will be.
I hadn't realised that you had done the embroidery degree...how wonderful. It was my ambition once, but the funding was never there, and family were small when I found it existed, so I did a City and Guilds instead.Not quite the same. It must have been amazing. No wonder you have such an artistic style to your work.

caireen said...

Hope it went well - your stuff looks lovely, and i wish I could come along and see it all Cx

Celia Hart said...

Hope your Christmas Market was a success. I'm just home from the Art Fair and words cannot describe the lack of footfall/sales. That link to Dudley Moore singing Britten was the sort of tonic I needed (what a great comic and musician he was).
I didn't know those little puffy patchworks were Suffolk Puffs - must have led a sheltered existence! And I live in Suffolk - now have an urge to raid the scrap bag and run up some SPs for myself.

Or I could just get the casserole in the oven and collapse on the sofa with a cat and some crochet.

(very tired) Celia x

Hollace said...

It's cheery and so cute. I hope it works its magic for you at the market.

Anonymous said...

I hope the fair was an amazing success with lots of people with open purses - and willing to chat too. That really helps doesn't it when standing behind a stall?
Look forward to seeing pictures soon.
P x